Recent content by rochrunner

  1. rochrunner

    SRAM NX 11-spd derailleur on SL 4.0

    The problem -- found by my local shop -- was that the stainless steel pins pressed onto the HG freehub were out of position, resulting in the cassette gears moving around. Also a missing spacer, which is due to my own carelessness.
  2. rochrunner

    Vado SL 4.0 12-Speed Conversion

    The bike shop found the problem and it was something that I didn't know about. The HG freehub on the Onyx hubs have stainless steel "pins" that go into the freehub slots to prevent the cassette from biting into the alloy hub. These were not positioned correctly, causing the cassette gears to...
  3. rochrunner

    Yet another Vado SL tire thread

    Now that I've decided against going tubeless, I'm ready to ditch my Pathfinder Pros because they are too prone to punctures when run with tubes. Both of my recent flats were caused by really tiny pieces of gravel working their way thru the tread just enough to pierce the tube; it was not even...
  4. rochrunner

    Vado SL 4.0 12-Speed Conversion

    Yes, I can get it over here. Wolf Tooth no longer appears to make one that's compatible (104BCD only with a lot fewer teeth).
  5. rochrunner

    Vado SL 4.0 12-Speed Conversion

    Thanks, @Stefan Mikes . I did not have any luck when searching for a 104BCD/44t gear and had never heard of Garbaruk. But I also have a question about your reasons for a dropped chain that are related to the derailleur (which I immediately suspected). The chain is coming off right as it meshes...
  6. rochrunner

    SRAM NX 11-spd derailleur on SL 4.0

    Thanks. What does it attach to?
  7. rochrunner

    SRAM NX 11-spd derailleur on SL 4.0

    Do you have a link for that?
  8. rochrunner

    SRAM NX 11-spd derailleur on SL 4.0

    I don't know what a "high low chainring" is (same as a narrow-wide maybe, which the bike already has?). I'll look into the chain-catcher. The problem now is that the chain will go right off the chainring in two or three rotations of the crank if it's in any of the two or three largest cogs! I...
  9. rochrunner

    SRAM NX 11-spd derailleur on SL 4.0

    Thanks. I found it a couple hours ago when I had the bike on my work stand. A lot easier in good light and quiet surroundings compared to where I was yesterday when my chain dropped (another curious story that I'll post in another thread).
  10. rochrunner

    SRAM NX 11-spd derailleur on SL 4.0

    Does the 11-speed NX derailleur that came on a 2024 Vado SL have a lever or button or whatever that locks it into the extended position? I didn't see anything but at the time I was trying to fix something in an inconvenient place on a hot day and wasn't in a position to take a closer look.
  11. rochrunner

    Vado SL 4.0 12-Speed Conversion

    No problem. The NX Eagle 11-50 cassette goes on a standard Shimano HG hub; the GX cassette uses the SRAM xD and is available with a 10-tooth outer gear. Other than that the groupsets are very similar and I could use the GX derailleur and/or shifter with the NX cassette, but for my purposes why...
  12. rochrunner

    Vado SL 4.0 12-Speed Conversion

    Thanks, @Stefan Mikes. Everything around here is flat so no problem sticking with the 44t but I'll probably remove the chainguard anyway -- not a fan of the look and it makes it harder to clean the chainring.
  13. rochrunner

    Vado SL 4.0 12-Speed Conversion

    It's the same part that they put on the latest 12-speed Vado SL 2 6.0s. :) I'm good.
  14. rochrunner

    Vado SL 4.0 12-Speed Conversion

    You may have hit on the solution for me. While searching for chainrings with the proper specs, this site turned up. It looks like what came on my bike and indeed my bike is on the list of bikes equipped with it. I took a closer look at mine and it indeed has the narrow-wide teeth. So I'll just...
  15. rochrunner

    Vado SL 4.0 12-Speed Conversion

    I guess I wasn't clear. My issue is that I don't know anything about how the crank assembly goes together on these bikes. The last time I worked in that area was 20 years ago when I replaced the 9-speed Sora components on my road bike to a full 105 10-spd groupset. In that case, if I wanted to...
Back